What is a Tongue Scraper?
- It is an oral hygiene tool used to scrape the tongue clean.
- A tongue scraper also called a tongue cleaner
- Tongue scrapers are often made of plastic but are also available in steel and copper
The Benefits of Using a Tongue Scraper
- Helps reduce coated tongue which is a condition in which the papillae of the tongue, some of which are taste buds, become swollen or overgrown. This causes dead skin cells, food debris, and bacteria to become stuck and coat the tongue.
- A tongue scraper can help reduce the symptoms of the coated tongue by removing debris surrounding the papillae.
- Makes the mouth feel fresher as dead skin cells, and bacteria that collect on the tongue can leave a bad taste in the mouth, especially in the morning.
- Reduces bad breath by physically remove odorous food remnants, bacteria, and dead skin cells from the tongue.
- Cleans the tongue better than a toothbrush as the flexible bristles of a toothbrush can leave behind a lot of debris on the tongue.
- Helps improve taste when the taste buds are covered by dead skin cells and other debris, it can interfere with a person’s ability to taste.